Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Savory Onion Crackers(Low Fat)



Did you try Savory onion crackers from Red chillies site? I did and I just loved it. I am always looking for low fat snack recipes to go with tea. This one fits the bill. I made some changes to her recipe. It came out crispy and delicious. Onion gives a wonderful flavor to the crackers.

I replaced white flour with whole wheat flour and also added rice flour for crunchiness.
I eliminated butter and baking soda.

Makes about 18 crackers

Ingredients:
Whole Wheat Flour(chapathi flour)-1.5 cups
Rice flour-1/2 cup
Water-1/4 cup
Oil-1/2 cup
Salt-1 tsp
Onion finely chopped-1 medium
Green chillis chopped-1
Hing-1/4 tsp(optional)
Jeera(cumin)-2 tsp
Coriander leaves(cilantro)-a handful chopped finely



Method:
Mix all the above ingredients except oil and start kneading.
Add oil little by little and knead the dough for 5-10 minutes. It should be very soft like a chapathi dough. Make small balls.
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Line the baking tray with foil. Place a ball and flatten it out with your palm into thin circles.
Repeat the same with other balls.
Bake until golden brown. My oven takes longer time to bake than it should normally take. I baked it for about 45 minutes. The actual recipe says 25-30 minutes. Keep an eye on the oven and check if it is done after 25 minutes.

These can be stored in an airtight container for a few days.