Saturday, February 20, 2010

Fifth Anniversary of Kitchen-Exchange

Today marks the fifth anniversary of the day I started this blog on February 20th, 2005.

Kitchen-Exchange was one of the very first blogs dedicated to kitchen design. Since that day I have been joined by many talented blogging designers.

It seems very apropos today that the fifth anniversary gift is wood. I love wood in an almost visceral way. Always have, ever since I can remember. I love the feel of wood and its smell.

Today I toured the Palo Alto Net Zero House and saw a TorZo wood counter in the powder room. I was in LOVE! I really, really didn't want to leave that powder room.

Now. I must first say that I am NOT fond of wood counters in the kitchen unless they are completely separate from any sink or cooking surface. I have seen too many wood counters marred with mildew and burns to ever recommend one anywhere but where it can't be soaked or burned. They are so impractical!

But OH this Torzo! It is made of myriad wood chips in light and dark colors in an non-toxic acrylic resin. It is so deep looking, so rich. Pictures can't do it justice.












If I had a desktop of TorZo Orient, I would just sit here admiring it all day long and never get a thing done!

I have asked for a sample to test, since TorZo claims that their product is durable and resistant to water. I shall see about that and report back.

Thank you TorZo, for your gift of beautiful wood on my fifth anniversary.

Peggy