Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Eggless Ragi Cookies / Eggless Finger Millet Cookies




I love any kind of whole grains. Ragi is not an exceptional. Starting from my childhood to till now, I am using it frequently.





My Mom used to prepare ragi butter milk, athakoozh (I really don't know why the recipe got this name.I'll update the recipe soon), ragi pakoda, ragi dosai, ragi adai and so on...



I thought of using the ragi in western dishes and searched in web as a first step. Got this recipe from Sanjeetha's place and prepared it immediately without altering anything as it was my first try with whole grains in baking. Visit her place if you need more yummy and healthy bites. The ragi cookies were very good on the healthy side.



Basic Information:

Preparation Time: 25 minutes

Cooking Time: 12-15 minutes

Makes: 12 cookies





Ingredients:



Ragi flour/Finger millet flour - 1 cup

Cornflour - 1 tablespoon

All purpose flour - 1 tablespoon

Cocoa powder - 1 tablespoon

Dark brown sugar - 1/2 cup

Butter - 1/2 cup, melted

Plain Yogurt / Curd - 1 teaspoon

Cinnamon powder - 1 teaspoon

Baking Powder - 1 teaspoon

Chocolate chips - to decorate



Method:

1) Dry roast the ragi flour for few minutes till the raw smell disappears. Use wide pan to do this. Try to avoid using chimney for this step.



2) Take a large mixing bowl and mix corn flour, all purpose flour, baking powder and cocoa powder one by one. I have shown all the steps below. This time, I sincerely clicked each step carefully. :-)


 


 


 


 



3) Mix all the ingredients well and keep it aside.



4) Now go ahead and mix the wet ingredients. Use another wide pan to do this.

5) Add melted butter,sugar and then curd to the bowl.


 



6) Mix it well it sugar dissolves. I got something dark as shown in the picture.



7) Now, slowly add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and make a smooth dough.



8) Preheat the oven to 190°C / 375°F  and line the baking tray with baking sheet.

9) Divide the dough into small balls and arrange them in baking sheet. Slightly press the cookies

10) Sprinkle few chocolate chips on top of it.



11) Bake it for 10-15 minutes or till the cookies slightly change in colour. It took 12 minutes for me.

12) Once done, transfer  the cookies to a wire rack and cool completely.

13) Serve with hot tea or coffee.







Note:

1) I added cinnamon powder as my family is great fan of it. If you have not used it much before, give a try starting with low quantity. It might sometimes give strong flavour. Or use cardamom powder as sanjeetha mentioned.

2) Try to use chocolate chips which is only for baking to avoid melting during the baking time.

3) I used Ghee instead of butter as I didn't have butter at my pantry when  I prepared this cookies. It was totally yumm.



Linking this event to the event, Priya's Fast Food is NOT Fat Food event which is going on here.