Friday, July 06, 2012

Mixed Veggie Almond Frittata


"Frittata" is an Italian word derives from fritto, the past particle of "to fry", and was orginally a general term for cooking eggs in a skillet. "Frittata" is an egg-based dish similar to an omelette or quiche, enriched with additional ingredients such as meats, cheeses, vegetables, pasta and herbs.  

I always make this mostly on a weekend, especially on a sunday when we get out of bed late and kinda hungry and have a good breakfast, kinda brunch and that can be made easily and fast and the main concern is that my son should like it. He likes eggs and cheese. So I combine these ingredients with veggies, so that I can sneak in some healthy goodness. :)

But this one I made it for my lunch box, as I was feeling lazy to cook and was running out of time. I had these turkey meatballs made the previous day night, so combined it with the frittata. But you can always experiment with your choice of ingredients. This actually made a very healthy and heavy lunch with all the proteins and veggies in it.

Ingredients:
--------------
2 Eggs
1/2 cup Mixed Veggies (I used frozen with beans, carrots, corn and peas)
1 tbps Milk
1/4 tsp Red Chili Flakes
1/4 cup Blanched Almond Flakes
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/4 tsp Butter

Method:
---------

1. Heat a non-stick pan.
2. In a bowl beat 2 eggs, mix with all other ingredients together.


3. Add the butter in the pan, let it melt and add the egg mixture and let it cook on a medium flame, add the almond flakes on top of the egg mixture.


4. Once the bottom is slightly golden brown, flip it over and cook the second side too for about more 3-4 mins until the egg is well cooked all through.


5. Serve it as a brunch or a heavy snack.


Linking this to Go Nuts Event