TINAI PARUPPU PAAYASAM
Millet is making a great come back with all grandeur. Consumers are being enlightened about the health benefits of these tiny grains. Farmers are being encouraged to grow them abundantly,with a promise of a profitable market. Millet Melas are becoming a great success in all Metros.
Here I have used the tiny nutritional wonder called Foxtail millet (Tinai in Tamil and Navane in Kannada) with Bengal gram dal to prepare a delicious Paayasam for Varamahaalakshmi Pooja.
Foxtail millet (dehusked) - 1/2 cup
Bengal gram dal - 1/2 cup
Crushed jaggery - 1 cup
Cardamom powder - 1/4 tsp
Ghee - 1 tbsp
Cashew nuts - a few
Raisins - a few
Milk - 1 1/2 cups
1.Wash Tinai and Bengal gram dal and carefully decant the water.The grains are so small that they tend to run away with the water used for washing.
2. Add three cups of water and pressure cook the washed millet and dal like you cook rice and let it cool.
3. Dissolve jaggery in one cup of warm water and filter it.
4. Boil the jaggery water till it becomes slightly thick.
5. Add the cooked millet and dal and keep cooking till it blends with the jaggery syrup giving out a very pleasant aroma.
6. Switch off flame and blend in the cardamom powder and milk.
7. Fry cashew nuts and raisins in ghee and pour over the paayasam.
Offer the Tinai Paruppu Paayasam to Varamahaalakshmi and savour the flavoursome prasaadam.