Saturday, October 25, 2008

Badam Cake (Almond Fudge)

Wish you and your family a very Happy Diwali!



Diwali is just around the corner and I made Badam Cake(or Halwa) today. After contemplating on various sweets, I decided to make this one because it brings back good memories of my Thalai Diwali(first Diwali after marriage). I have been wanting to try Vahrehvah Chef's recipes since long time. I tried his recipe and was so surprised with the end results. Believe me, it was out of the world! I did not compromise on ghee or sugar this time. Whenever I go to Chennai, my father gets me badam cake from a hotel(I don't remember the name). Those are the best ones I have ever had. My badam cake tasted very much like those and I am happy I can make a badam cake that tastes so authentic!

The above link is for Badam Halwa. I have slightly modified the measurements because I wanted to make a cake(which is the next stage of halwa).

This is going to Srivalli's JFI festival treats-Nov 08.
This is also going to Aparna's Sweet Celebrations event.

Ingredients:
Badam/Almonds-1 and a 1/2 cups
Sugar- 1 and a 1/2 cups
Saffron-a few strands
Milk-1/2 cup
Ghee-1/2 cup ( Apparently badam cake comes out well with even lesser amount of ghee)
Cardamom-a pinch
Orange color-a pinch(optional)

Method:
Soak almonds in hot water for 1 hr and peel the skin.
Grind the peeled almonds with milk and saffron to a fine paste. If the mixie doesn't grind, add some more milk and grind. The paste should be thick.
Heat a nonstick pan on medium flame, add 1 tbsp of ghee, ground paste, cardamom, orange color and sugar. Keep on stirring continuously. Add 1 tbsp of ghee now and then while stirring. Don't stop stirring. Do so until the mixture becomes thick(takes about 30 minutes) and starts to leave the sides of the pan(at this stage, the mixture becomes like a soft dough and does not stick to the pan at all). Don't forget to keep adding ghee little by little while stirring.
Grease a plate with ghee, pour the mixture into it. Cool for 10 minutes and cut into pieces.