Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Ulli Theeyal / Shallots in Coconut Gravy







Only when I started blogging, I came to know that ulli theeyal is a kerala recipe. But the wonder here is, I prepare this gravy very often at my home without knowing the fact. This recipe is from my mom, who prepares this gravy every week with plain dal and carrot poriyal as the default combination. This combo is my family's favorite and sometimes we demand, home made fried pappadam from her. Try this combo when you bored of... you can feel the heaven. Now, read below to see how I prepare it!!!





Did you know? Shallots can lower the blood sugar levels in people with diabetes by preventing the degradation of insulin and increasing the metabolism of glucose.(From - The Hindu)



Ingredients:



For Gravy:



Shallots - 1 cup, sliced

Tamarind - 1 small gooseberry size

Oil - 4 teaspoons

Curry leaves - 1 string

Mustard seeds and Urid dal - 1/2 teaspoon

Salt - to taste



For Roasting & Grinding:



Fresh coconut - 1/2 cup, grated

Cumin seeds - 1/2 teaspoon

Pepper seeds - 1/4 teaspoon

Fenugreek seeds - 1/4 teaspoon

Coriander seeds/ coriander powder - 2 teaspoons







---