UDUPI KRISHNA'S FAVOURITES FOR
Gullorige is a special sweet offered to Udupi Sri Krishna which tastes like a sweet coconut cookie. Like all other children, the Divine Baby too loves this fried coconut cookie.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE FILLING
Roasted gram ( hurigadale)- 1/2 cup
Grated copra ( dried coconut ) - 1 cup
Sugar - 1 cup
Cardamom powder - 1 pinch
TO PREPARE THE FILLING
1. Grind roasted gram, sugar and cardamom together into a powder.
2. Add the dry coconut gratings and run the mixer for a few seconds so that the filling remains coarse.
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE GULLORIGE
Fine semolina ( Peni Ravae or sanna Ravae) - 2 cups
Ghee - 1 tbsp
Salt - 1 pinch
Oil - For frying
TO MAKE THE GULLORIGE
1. Rub ghee and salt into the fine semolina.
2. Add warm water little by little and knead it into a soft dough.
3. Cover and leave it for one hour.
4. Take out a small ball of the soft dough and roll into a thick poorie.
5. Place a table spoon of the filling and draw the edges of the poorie together to cover the filling, and press down to seal.
6. Place the sealed side down and lightly roll into a thick poorie dusting with flour if necessary.
7. Roll out all the dough into stuffed gulloriges and cover with a wet cloth.
8. Heat oil in a kadai.
9. Slide one or two gulloriges into the hot oil and reduce the heat.
10. Press down using the perforated ladle so that they do not puff up and fry till the colour changes.
11. Flip and fry on both sides increasing heat.
12. Fry till the gulloriges become crisp, remove and drain.
Offer Gullorige - the sweet coconutty cookie - to baby Krishna on His happy birthday.