FINGER FOOD FOR THE NEW YEAR PARTY
Basically Idly Sticks are nothing but fried idlies. The addition of garlic and and other spices lend a distinct flavour to the Idly Sticks.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE BATTER
Raw rice - 3 cups
Black gram dal - 1 cup
Fenugreek seeds - 1 tsp
Beaten rice or puffed rice - 1 tbspBengal gram dal - 1 tsp
salt - 2 tsps
Sugar - 1 tsp
1.Wash and cover all ingredients except salt and sugar with water and soak for one hour.
2. Grind the soaked ingredients into a thick, smooth and fluffy batter using the grinder.
3. Mix salt and sugar and run the grinder for two more minutes.
4. Store the ground batter in a big vessel allowing space for fermenting.
5. Cover with a lid and leave the batter in a warm place overnight.
TO PREPARE IDLIES FOR THE IDLY STICKS
Finely chopped garlic - 2 tbsps
Chilly flakes - 2 tbsps ( Dry roast red chillies till crisp and crush them using a pestle )
Sesame seeds - 2 tsps
Cumin seeds - 2 tsps
Finely chopped coriander - 1 tbsp
1. For every cup of the fermented idly batter add the above ingredients and blend well.
2. Grease idly plates ( I have used tattae idly plates ) and pour one cup of the prepared batter into each plate.
3. Steam the idlies for fifteen minutes in a pressure cooker without the weight.
4. Allow to cool and then refrigerate the idlies along with the plates for half an hour.
5. Remove the idlies from the idly plates and cut them into long sticks using a sharp knife.
6. Heat oil in a pan and gently drop the sticks one by one into the hot oil so that they do not clump together.
7. Turn over using a perforated ladle and fry till the Idly Sticks become crisp and golden brown in colour.
8. Remove the crisp Idly Sticks and drain them on a paper towel.
Enjoy the flavoursome Idly Sticks as they are or with tomato sauce, chutney or any other dip of your choice.