FINGER FOOD FOR THE NEW YEAR PARTY
Kuzhi Paniyaarams are delicious and addictive snacks. They can easily fit into any party or celebrations. They are a no fuss no mess finger food, and taste yummy with or without dips and chutneys.
Raw rice - 3 cups
Black gram dal - 1 cup
Bengal gram dal - 1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds - 1 tsp
Beaten rice or puffed rice - 1 tbsp
Salt - 2 tsps
Sugar - 1 tsp
TO PREPARE THE BATTER
1.Wash and cover all the ingredients except salt and sugar in water and soak for one hour.
2. Grind the soaked ingredients into a thick, smooth and fluffy batter adding water as required.
3. Mix salt and sugar to the batter and store in a big vessel with lid.
4. Rest it in a warm place and allow to ferment overnight.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE PANIYAARAM
Finely chopped onions - 2 tbsps
Finely minced fresh coconut - 2 tbsps
Finely chopped green chillies - 1 tsp
Finely chopped fresh ginger - 1 tsp
Finely chopped coriander leaves - 1 tbsp
Oil - for seasoning and frying the paniyaarams
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Black gram dal - 1/2 tsp
TO PREPARE PANIYAARAMS
1. Add all the chopped ingredients to one cup of the fermented batter and mix well.
2. Heat oil in a seasoning ladle and add mustard seeds.
3. When the mustard seeds crackle add the black gram dal and fry till golden in colour and mix the seasoning into the paniyaaram batter.
4. Heat oil in a paniyaaram pan ( Appa Kaaral ).
5. When the oil is hot enough pour one tablespoon of the prepared paniyaaram batter into every cup like depression in the paniyaaram pan. The paniyaarams will ease out by themselves and start to float in the oil when done.
6. Gently turn over the paniyaarams one by one using a fork and cook on the flip sides.
7. When the paniyaarams are done gently remove them one by one from the pan and drain them on a kitchen towel.
Enjoy the hot and scrumptious Kuzhi Paniyaarams with coconut chutney if needed.