SWEET MELANGE FOR A MERRY CHRISTMAS
NENDIRAM PAZHA HALWA / BANANA HALWA
We presented our " Vegetarian Menu Recommendations For A Tasty Christmas" last year. This year we are ready to welcome Christmas with a "Sweet Melange". Fruits, vegetables, flour, milk, nuts, sugar and jaggery combine with many other ingredients and are all set to metamorphise into delicious sweets of varying shapes,colours , textures and tastes in this Sweet Melange For A Merry Christmas.
Nendiram Vazhai Pazham is a special variety of banana which abounds in the south west coast of India. This variety of banana is the best choice for preparing a delicious banana halwa due to its golden colour and unique taste.
Nendiram Vazhai Pazham - 2 ( roughly 4 1/2 cups when sliced)
Sugar - 2 cups
Ghee - 4 tbsps
Cardamom powder - 1pinch
Mixed nuts - a few
1. Heat 2 tsps of ghee and roast the nuts and keep aside.
2. Peel and dice the banana into thin slices.
3. Heat 2 tbsps of ghee in a heavy bottomed pan and add the banana slices.
4. Stir well and cover with a lid.
5. Cook on low flame stirring now and then till the banana slices become mushy.
6. Add sugar and cook till the sugar melts and blends well with the fruit mash.
7. Keep stirring on low flame till the halwa starts leaving the sides of the pan.
8. Blend in the remaining ghee, roasted nuts and the cardamom powder and switch off flame.
Enjoy the Nendiram Pazha Halwa in scoops while still warm.
Or spread the golden coloured halwa on a greased plate, and cut them into desired shapes when cold. Either way Nendiram Pazha Halwa tastes heavenly.