Sunday, March 01, 2009

Chocolate Tofu Mousse

Chocolate mousse, the dessert that I hardly resist and my weakness! Everytime I feel guilty after I eat it as most of the traditional chocolate mousse recipes would contain lots of cream and egg yolks. Somehow, there was a genius who used tofu to replace the cream and egg yolks for the chocolate mousse and that really cheer me up. Tofu! yes it's tofu which I never think that can be used to replace cream for making desserts. There are plenty of tofu chocolate mousse recipes and here I followed my favorite nutritionist Ellie's recipe.
The chocolate mousse took no time to prepare, just ignore the pictures shown with the shortcrust pastry cases and the cake base. The chocolate mousse could actually simply serve in cups or any serving dish but I just made a little bit extra for weekend. Simply blitz all the chocolate mousse ingredients in a food processor and pour into a serving dish and set in the fridge for couple of hours, job done!
I like the sourly of raspberries in the chocolate mousse as I think they go very well. So, I used raspberry puree to replace the water from the recipe as well as using the puree for the toppings. For the cake base, I was quite lazy to make the sponge cake so I simply blend together 60g egg whites, 25g ground almond, 50g sugar powder and 30g melted butter in the food processor then bake in a 180'C preheated oven for 20 minutes, simple! I find the cake is slightly thick which suppose to be in very thin layer.
As for the shortcrust pastry, I used some left over pastry in the fridge to roll it into a few chef rings and bake blind until golden brown. Here I've got a broken one and it's such a waste.
The pastry and almond cake go very well with the chocolate mousse whereas the mousse is really smooth, soft, light and my other half hardly taste the tofu until I told him. Other than using tofu for the chocolate mousse, a good quality at least 70% chocolate and cocoa powder is needed. It would definitely gives you a scrumptious dessert.
Recipe for the chocolate mousse:

10 oz silken tofu
3 oz 70% dark chocolate
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup water (I used raspberry puree, drained & seeded)
1 tbsp brandy (optional)
1/2 cup sugar (I reduced 2 tbsp for 1/2 cup)
  1. In a blender or food processor, puree the tofu until it is smooth.
  2. Put the chopped chocolate, cocoa powder, sugar, water and brandy (this is quite optional) in a saucepan or heat-proof bowl fitted over a pot containing 1-inch barely simmering water. Stir frequently, until melted and smooth.
  3. Add the chocolate mixture to the tofu and puree until smooth and well blended. Spoon the mousse into serving dishes, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or 2.