Friday, March 13, 2009

Green Building Advisor

My friend Joanne sent me information (below) on this site and I joined up, paying my $99 for a year's subscription.

I then spent an hour or so on the site yesterday. We are planning a new furnace, and I thought I would learn lots of information I hadn't already found in my online research over the past few months.

I have to say I was disappointed that the site seemed to be (for now at least) just a compendium of manufacturers' marketing with links to their sites.

I didn't learn a thing I didn't already know...All right, I think I am pretty well-informed. In fact my files on furnaces were more extensive and better researched than theirs!

Then I posted my disappointment on the site in fairly scathing terms.
http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/product-guide/prod/matrix-total-home-system#comment-294

Imagine my surprise when the editors dug up all the information I had been looking for on a very expensive heating system and posted it (within 24 hours) in response to my query!

I have now learned enough to rule out the very expensive system I was hankering for.
That saved me thousands of $$$.

I'll be sticking with Green Building Advisor.
Just remember that if you don't find what you are looking for there, ask.
Thanks Joanne!

Peggy


Leading builders, remodelers, and pro-active homeowners are highlighting success stories in an otherwise difficult economy.

These forward-thinking pioneers are succeeding with innovative building strategies and practices, a focus on quality craftsmanship, and an urgency to build energy-efficient, healthy homes.

If you’re interested in doing the same you’ll appreciate the value of a comprehensive, new resource called GreenBuildingAdvisor.com.

You’ll discover:
• the science behind green building practices
• the techniques to get every job done right
• insights from leading-edge practitioners
• innovative tools like our construction detail library with more than
1,000 downloadable details

What makes GreenBuildingAdvisor.com different? Its breadth and depth of reliable, authoritative content. And an obsessive focus on quality building practices.

As Managing Editor, I invite you to explore all the resources we have to offer. For a good overview, take a look at our brief demonstration video.

The more you find out about GreenBuildingAdvisor.com, the more you’ll realize what a truly extraordinary resource it is – a virtual encyclopedia of practical information that can be your single source of reliable advice on green building.

Daniel Morrison
Managing Editor