Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Spicy Garlic Chutney



How many of you love garlic as much as I do? I have come across people that either loves it or hates it. Is there anyone in between the two? When I saw this garlic chutney at adlak's kitchen, I was sure of trying it out. The recipe cannot be any simpler. I enjoyed the chutney with rotis. Thanks Adlak for this wonderful recipe.

Ingredients:
Garlic-12 pods
Onion-1(medium)
Tomato-1
Hing-1/4 tsp
Red chillies-7(if you want it less spicy, use 5)
Salt
Mustard seeds-3/4 tsp
Oil-1/4 cup
Tamarind-2 inch piece

Method:
Grind all the above ingredients(without adding water) except oil and mustard seeds.
Heat oil in a pan. Tamper mustard seeds. When they crackle, add the ground paste. Bring the mixture to a boil. Add little water if required. Simmer and close with a lid. Cook until oil starts to float on top. It will take at least 45 minutes to an hour.
The chutney goes well with dosas, rotis, curd rice.

Note: If you don't like the smell of ground onion, substitute it with another tomato. You can also fry the above ingredients one after another and then grind.

So many of you have showered me with cute awards. I totally lost track of those who passed me the awards. A quick search in my google reader saved me. Friends, I am so glad you thought about me. I have created a collage of awards and added it to my awards page. If you would like to display it in your blog, please feel free to do so(click "awards" tab on the header). I love all my blogger friends. So I dedicate this award collage to you all!