Monday, March 02, 2009

Whole Wheat Eggless Dates Cake


I tried eggless dates cake from Aayi's recipes today. It was so good that I finished half of it in no time :) I reserved a few pieces to take some pictures. I loved the texture and aroma of the cake. This is a must try recipe! As I never use all purpose flour(maida) in my cooking, I replaced it with whole wheat pastry flour. I also made a few changes to the recipe.

Ingredients:
Whole wheat pastry flour-3/4 cup(if you don't have this, substitute with maida)
Seedless dates-14
Warm Milk-1 cup
Oil-6 tbsp
Sugar-5 tbsp
Baking soda-1 tsp

Method:
Soak dates in 3/4 cup of warm milk for 10 minutes and grind the mixture with sugar to a smooth paste.
Add flour, baking soda, oil and remaining milk to the dates paste. Mix everything thoroughly so that there are no lumps.
If the mixture is dry, add some more milk.
Preheat oven to 350F. Pour the batter in a greased loaf pan or any oven proof pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a fork inserted in the cake comes out clean.

Next time I am going to try a low fat version without sugar and oil. I will post the recipe later.

Notes
: Do not use baking powder. The cake will turn out hard.
Whole wheat pastry flour is different from whole wheat flour(aata). It is available in chain grocery stores in the US.
Adding icing will make the cake heavy and too sweet! Of course it will taste great!

This is my entry to these events:
JFI: Wheat - April 1st
MBP: Kids Food - March 8th and Coffee’s MBP event