Spinach Rice is a very easy dish to make and requires no much prior preparation. A quick fix solution for those who cannot wait for long to eat good food. I usually make this after I am back from a tired day of work. I have provided a very simple and step-by-step procedure to make the Spinach Rice
Cooked Rice - 3 cups
Baby spinach - 2 cups
Oil/Butter - 2tbsp
Cumin seeds - 1 1/2 tsp
Red chillies - 4-5
Asafoetida - a pinch
Salt to taste
- Heat a pan and add the butter (or oil). Then add the cumin seeds, red chillies and asafoetida.
- Once the cumin seeds start to crackle, add the chopped spinach to the seasoning . Add salt according to taste and mix well.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes on medium flame. The spinach will wilt and reduce in quantity.
- Spinach takes very less time to cook. Once the spinach curry is done, add the cooked rice. Mix the rice and the curry well.
- Let the cooked rice cool for a while before adding to the spinach rice. Otherwise the rice may get lumpy and mushy.
- Hot spinach rice is ready to serve.
- Spinach rice can be enjoyed best alone. There is no side-dish required. Raita can be used as an accompaniment if needed. Enjoy your spinach rice!
- Usually red chillies are added while cooking greens due to the fact that people who do not want to eat chillies can easily separate red chillies from the green curry as opposed to finding Green Chillies in Greens!