Tomato Gojju is a very popular side dish for Chapathi's, Dosas and some Rice varieties. Tomato Gojju is called so in Karnataka and Thakkali Gothsu is the name for the dish in Tamil. The same Gojju can be mixed with white rice to make Tomato Rice / Baath. This forms the base for Tomato Rice/Tomato Baath. It tastes delicious when served as a side dish with Venn Pongal/ Khara Pongal. This is one of the exclusive recipes from my Mother's kitchen and an all time favorite at my Mom's place.This is how you make it.
3 medium sized tomatoes (Finely chopped)
2 medium sized onions (Finely chopped)
3-4 green chillies (Finely chopped)
2 cloves of garlic (Minced or chopped)
1 teaspoon of Fenugreek seeds
1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder
1 teaspoon of red chili powder (optional)
1 sprig of curry leaves
1 tablespoon of finely chopped cilantro
1 teaspoon of mustard seeds, Urad Dal and Chana Dal
Salt to taste
Oil for seasoning (About a table spoon)
For the Gojju Powder:
- In a small fry pan, roast the Cumin seeds and the Fenugreek seeds together until the aroma from both the spices are released.
- Grind it into a slightly coarse powder and keep it aside.
For the Gojju :
- Take a deep pan and add about a tablespoon of oil.
- Once the oil is hot add Mustard seeds, Urad Dal, Chana Dal and curry leaves.
- After the mustard seeds crackle, add the chopped onions and green chillies.
- Then add the garlic and mix well. Garlic is added after onions and green chillies to prevent it from burning.
- Sauté them until translucent.Then add the chopped tomatoes and mix well.
- Now add the turmeric powder, salt and red chili powder. Along with all these add the ground Fenugreek and Cumin powder.
- Mix all the ingredients well. Cover and cook for about 5-7 minutes on medium heat.
- Mix the contents in between and cook for an additional 5-10minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro.Tomato Gojju is ready to serve.
Enjoy eating and I will be back with a new recipe soon!!
- Red Chilli powder is for the extra red color. It can be adjusted to taste and is optional since we already added green chillies.