Thursday, August 25, 2011

Carrot Pasta with Carrot Ribbons - Homemade Carrot Pasta From Scratch



Making a recipe out of carrots kept me thinking, because I didn't want to do any similar recipe, but to be kinda unique. Well it might not be a unique one for those who have tried similar recipe...but very new to me when making pasta dough with carrots and also when it's a homemade one. This thought came to me when I was mixing spinach to the regular atta to make chapati's. Since my Son, myself and Shoj love to eat pasta, I said to myself why not try to make it myself. I have heard of spinach, tomato, whole wheat pasta...but never heard of this carrot pasta...so tried and to my surprise...it was easier than I thought and very colorful and I was overwhelmed with joy because I made it.
So here is the recipe friends, for you to try too....


Ingredients:
------------
To Make Carrot Pasta Dough:
---------------------------------
1 1/4-1 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
1 medium Carrot peeled and pureed
1 Egg
1 tsp Water


Note: I made a small quantity, because I was trying this recipe for the first time, but this was enough to fill in out two big and one small tummies...he he - I always make in small quantity when trying new recipes, to make sure I don't waste if it doesn't turn out good :-))


To Make The Pasta Recipe:
-----------------------------
2-3 Garlic cloves chopped
1/2 Red Onion sliced thin
1/2 Red Bell Pepper sliced thin
1 medium Carrot, peeled and peeled to Ribbons (Note: to make the ribbons, you need to peel the carrot along the skin peeled sides to get these ribbons)
1/4 cup Green Peas (fresh/frozen) (I used frozen)
1 tsp All Purpose Flour
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/2 Lemon juice and the zest
1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
1 tsp Oil
1 tbsp Butter
1/4 cup Parsley chopped

Method:
----------
Making Carrot Pasta Dough:
------------------------------



1. In a mixer you can add carrots, egg and water and puree it to a smooth paste.



2. In a mixing surface place the flour and make a well in between and add the carrot paste with egg and water, with a fork combine the flour little by little and when it's gets bit difficult t mix with the flour, clean the fork and knead the dough with hand for about 6 mins until the dough gets soft and smooth and should not stick to your fingers.



3. Cover the dough with a plastic wrap and keep it aside for about 30 mins.




4. Now remove the dough from the plastic wrap, spread a little flour on the surface, roll out the dough to any a circle or square about 1/4 inch thick. The little specks of carrot look pretty in the dough.





5. Take a pizza cutter or any design cutter to cut into long strips or the size of pasta you desire for the recipe you want to prepare. I just kept the pasta long...the way I like it. Anush was so excited and helped me in cutting the pasta strips too. It's always nice to involve kids while making something interesting or in baking....after cutting the strips he was ready to eat it raw...and I had to explain him...that he can have it after I cook it. :-)






6. Now separate the pasta strips. Note: Dust with a little bit of flour to coat each pasta strip, else it will stick. (I made these mistake..they started to stick to each other, but luckily I could separate them while boiling the pasta) :-)




7. Boil a big pot of water, when it starts to boil, add enough salt and add the pasta stir it once, and allow it to cook for about 7-10 mins in medium high flame, once the pasta is cooked, they start to float over the top of the pot or take a piece of the pasta and bit into it....it should be Al Dente.
8. Strain the pasta in a colander and reserve some of the pasta water.


Making Pasta Recipe:
--------------------------

1. In a sauce pan add oil and butter, when the butter starts to melt add the garlic and saute it for a min.




2. Add all the vegetables including onion, red pepper, carrot and peas and saute it for about 2-3 mins. The vegetables should be little bit cooked and still crunchy.
3. Add salt, pepper (make sure you check the salt, as we have enough salt in the pasta water).
4. Add the flour and saute it in low flame until it absorbs all the oil.




5. Add the pasta water and stir well so that there are no lumps. Now add the pasta and mix well, gently not breaking the pasta.





6. Sprinkle parmesan cheese and mix well and serve it immediately when it's still hot and garnish with parsley, parmesan cheese and red chili flakes. 


Sending this recipe to the Event "Veggie/Fruit of the month-Carrot" hosted by Reva and Priya, "Pasta Pizza and Noodles hosted by Jayasri - "Samayal Arai" and Pari - "Foodelicious".