Thursday, September 25, 2008

Aval Payasam

After seeing Aval payasam recipe posted by Srikars kitchen, I could not resist myself from trying it out. I made a few modifications according to my taste and imagination and the end result was that I could not have enough of it. Thanks Sripriya for sharing this wonderful recipe.
This is my version of Aval Payasam.

Ingredients:
Aval(Poha)-1/2 cup
Ghee-1tbsp
Cashews-a handful
Almonds-a handful
Milk-1 cup
Evaporated milk-1 cup
Sugar-according to your taste
Cardamom powder-a pinch
Orange color(optional)-a pinch
Saffron-a few strands
Edible camphor-a pinch(optional)
Coconut-1 tbsp

Dry grind almonds and cashews(setting a few aside to roast) to a fine powder.
Heat ghee. Fry some cashews to golden brown. Set aside. In the same pan, fry poha in ghee for a couple of minutes. Add milk. Let it boil(if the mixture is too thick, add some more milk). Add the ground nuts, sugar, evaporated milk, coconut, saffron, orange color, cardamom powder & edible camphor. Simmer for 5 minutes. Garnish with roasted nuts. Tastes best when warm!