Monday, September 22, 2008

DIY Sites to Visit

I received the below email today from an editor at Consumer Reports' ShopSmart Magazine.

I had visited DIYnetwork.com, Doityourself.com and WikiHow; but the new BeJane.com and ExpertVillage.com were new to me!

I have a soft spot in my heart for do-it-yourselfers because I started on the path toward my career as a kitchen and bath designer by DIY remodeling my old and decrepit house when I couldn't afford to hire the pros.

Next thing I knew, all my neighbors were hiring me to design and remodel their kitchens and baths.

BeJane walks women through lots of DIY projects with language they can understand.

Maybe you too can make the transition from surgical nurse to kitchen designer via the hands-on route!

Great additions to the DIY universe.

Peggy


Sometimes it pays to just do it yourself. But what if you don’t know how to replace a faucet or fix a running toilet?

The Web is loaded with how-to resources that can make those jobs easy.

Google “replacing a faucet,” for example, and you’ll find all kinds of help to bring out your inner plumber, including Doityourself.com.

The November 2008 issue of ShopSmart, from the publisher of Consumer Reports, reveals the other DIY sites that are worth a look the next time you need to fix something, whether it’s replacing a doorknob or installing a new tail light.

You might decide the project is too complicated, but at least you’ll know what you were up against.

One warning: You may have to wade through ads to find what you’re looking for.

DIYnetwork.com has countless how-to videos and articles on home projects, gardening and landscaping, and crafts too.

Expertvillage.com offers short video clips and articles on just about everything you might need to fix things around the house and make car repairs.

WikiHow.com lacks the glitzy design (and ads) of some other sites but covers a huge range of home, car, and computer repairs.

BeJane.com was re-launched just as we went to press. It’s a DIY site aimed at women.

If you choose to use these tips, we ask that you credit the November 2008 issue of ShopSmart.