Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Homemade Mango Ice Cream


It's summer and my Son loves to eat Ice cream almost everyday. Last year he never used to eat, as and when he tastes it, he used to say no, because he used to have brain freeze. I was very much worried at that time, I didn't realize that he was too young for that. This year he is going better, I was happy. So thought of trying it at home. 
I don't think there is anyone who does not like ice cream. So here is the recipe for Ice cream lovers. It's very easy to make, with simple ingredients.
I always remember my Mom making it when I was a kid. They used to sell Ice cream mix powder in India, you need to boil mix and mix in it. But here in US you have different methods and ways to make Ice cream. I choose the simplest recipe, for my convenience. :-)

Ingredients:
-------------
2 cups of Whole Milk
1 small can Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
4-5 Ripe Mango pureed or Can of Mango puree (Unsweetened if using canned)
Cool Whip and Raspberry for Garnish

Method:
-----------
1. In a heavy bottom sauce pan boil milk in medium temperature. Off the flame and add condensed milk and vanilla extract and let it come to room temperature.
2. Add the mango puree and transfer it to a  freezer box and allow it to cool for about 3-4 hours.
3. Remove it from the freezer, scoop out the ice cream in a mixer and blend it until smooth and replace it in the freezer box. Repeat this step one more time after 7-8 hours. This makes the ice cream soft as the one you get in the shops. When you do this method, I know it's time consuming, but it's worth and you don't need to buy a ice cream maker. :-)
4. 1 hr before serving you can blend it again, if you like more creamy texture.
5. Serve it cold with any combination. I served it with cool whip on top and a raspberry. The other variation is adding any syrup or honey on top. I drizzled with a dark chocolate syrup.