Sunday, June 12, 2011

Q & A On Fluorescent Uplighting

Q.

Dear Ms Deras:
I have a question about one of the issues you discussed on your web page "http://www.kitchenartworks.com/lighting.htm" about Kitchen Lighting Guidelines.

I came across your web page while doing some research about the use of fluorescent fixtures on top of cabinets. I had planned to place some fluorescent fixtures on top of some cabinets in a combination Kitchen/Dining Area, aiming for an indirect lighting effect.

However, on the instructions that came with these GE light fixtures, is this warning:

"Warning: Risk of Fire: Not intended for "Up-Light" applications where fixture is mounted horizontal with the lens facing up."

That led me to try to find out
(a) why this would be a fire risk, and how serious a risk is it, and
(b) if there is some kind of light I could buy that doesn't carry this warning and "is" safe for this type of installation.

Can you shed any ... um... "light" on these issues? Your website is, so far, the only place I've found that discusses putting lights on top of the cabinets---which seemed to me like a great idea.

Regards,

Phill

A.

Interesting Phill. That's a new one on me. I have been specifying just standard T8 and T5 fluorescent fixtures on top of cabinets for decades. Maybe GE has seen some problems with this, but I certainly haven't. I don't actually buy or specify the fixtures though. The electrician on the job does that. I rely on them to buy the best for the application in a generic product like this.

I would contact GE and ask them what fixtures they recommend for uplighting on top of your cabinets. They may point you to fixtures that are designed to be mounted facing up.

Here's an example from Pegasus Lighting. It can be mounted any which way:


Peggy