Sunday, June 26, 2011

Rasmalai with Ricotta Cheese


I wanted to try this recipe from the time I came to US, because most of the time when I hear my neighbor having guests at home, she makes this recipe as most of her friends like it and her husband too, but she used to tell me that she used to get the ricotta cheese from a particular store which is 1 1/2hr from our place. So I never tried it, or give it a try buying the ricotta cheese from a local grocery store.
Once before a year or so, I did try it, but didn't come out well and after making it I forgot to keep it in the fridge and left it over the counter and by morning, it got spoiled, so didn't have the guts to try it again. 
But this time I wanted to make it easy for me, It turned out very good and I almost ate all of the rasmalai. :-)

Ingredients:
----------------
1 (16oz) Whole Milk Ricotta Cheese
1 + 1/4 cup Sugar
1 pint Light Whipping Cream or Half and Half
1 pinch Saffron
3 tbsp sliced Almonds
3 tbsp Pistachios Chopped 
1/4 tsp Cardamom powder

Method:
-------------
1. In a heavy bottom sauce pan simmer the whipping cream or half and half, 1 cup sugar, cardamom powder and saffron for about 10 mins.
2. Preheat the oven to 350F. 
3. Meanwhile in a microwave safe bowl ( choose a square glass bowl), mix together 1/4 cup sugar and ricotta cheese and bake it in oven for about 35-40 mins.
4. Allow it to come to room temperature, cut to the desired shape and add the whipping cream or half and half mixture over the top until all the ricotta is well drenched. 
5. Sprinkle the nuts over the top or while serving into individual bowls.