Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Kappa (Tapioca) Thoran - New Kerala Recipe


Does this recipe sound new?? Hmm .... New inventions are introduced after accidents, right ?? I believe so after trying this recipe. He he hee....
I bought this Tapioca from a local fresh veggie market and forgot about it. Actually I wanted to make Kappa and Fish curry, which is my husband's favorite. When I removed the outer skin of tapioca, half of it changed color and rest of the part was good. There was no much to do kappa and I didn't know any other recipe to make out of this. So I kept thinking what to make, as I already made the fish curry. I was feeling so bad. Then suddenly I thought of grating it and make like thoran (sabji). It turned out so yummy and very easy, my husband was so happy and liked it very much and he immediately asked whether I already posted this recipe in my blog. I said to him, if he likes then I will post it. His words were too encouraging and so thought of sharing with you all, especially for the people who are from Kerala, India - If you have never tried this recipe - you must now!! :-)

Ingredients:
-------------
1 medium size Tapioca skin peeled and grated
1-2 Green Chilies
1 Red Dry Chili
3-4 Curry leaves
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
1/2 small Onion sliced
1/4 tsp grated Ginger
1/4 cup grated Coconut (I used the dried/ desiccated one)
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
1 tsp Oil
Salt to taste

Method:
------------
1. In a glass bowl ( I choose Pyrex square bowl) add the grated tapioca, salt, turmeric powder, ginger, onion, green chili and coconut. Mix all the ingredients well and keep aside.
2. Preheat the oven/microwave/toaster oven to 350F.
3. In a seasoning pan add oil and when it's hot add oil, add the mustard seeds, and when they start to sputter add curry leaves and dry red chili and off the flame.
4. Add this to the tapioca mixture and mix again gently.
5. If you want to cook this tapioca in oven/ toaster oven (I used toaster oven), cover the glass bowl with an aluminium foil and cook it for about 20 mins and let it stand for another 5-10 mins in oven after you off the oven and then remove the foil to check if it is done. Make sure you remove the foil carefully, as the steam might burn your hand.
6. If you want to cook in microwave, cook it covered with a damp paper towel covered on top for about 15-20 mins, stirring it after every 8-10 mins, making sure that it does not dry, sprinkle some water if needed.
7. Serve this warm with fish curry and steamed rice.