Monday, June 27, 2011

Lauki Kheer - Sorakkai Payasam

Blogging marathon is pushing my limits. The recipes I post as part this edition of marathon is prepared the day it is posted except the first recipe.  And today I decided to make kheer using bottle gourd and planned it for dessert post dinner. One or the other things came by and it was time for dinner. I cook all three meals separately. Most of the days I start my cooking for dinner around 8:00 and it will be ready on the table by 8:30 p.m, our dinner time. I started the kheer post dinner and it got done in 20 minutes. 



You need

Grated bottle gourd - 1 cup, tightly packed
Milk - half litre
Ghee - 1 tblspn + 2 tspn
Sugar - 1/3 cup (increase to 1/2 cup if you want it very sweet)
Cashew & Raisins - 1 tblspn


Method

Heat a tablespoon of ghee in a kadai or thick bottomed vessel. Add the grated bottle gourd. Saute till the raw smell disappears. Add the milk and continue to cook till the bottle gourd absorbs the flavor of milk.  Add sugar. Let it dissolve and let it simmer for few minutes till it thickens to the desired consistency.

Heat 2 teaspoon of ghee in another kadai. Add cashews to it. When cashews start browning, add raisins. Add the roasted cashews and raisins to the kheer. Serve warm or cold as desired. Since the weather is cold here, we had it warm. 



Do check out what my fellow marathoners are cooking for BM#6