Sunday, July 17, 2011

Chikken Tikka Skewers - Home Cooked Style



One among many things which was introduced to me after marriage is cooking non-vegetarian food. Yes, it was new to me since we follow vegetarian cuisine in our home. My husband's family is also not fond of eating non-veg food, but they cook it whenever guests visit our home. However my mom-in-law taught me few recipes which we usually prepare at our home. They are in the queue except the chicken gravy which I have posted earlier in my blog. Now I started to look for the variations in non-veg recipes too.

This tikka skewers was introduced to me when we went for a holiday trip with friends. We made it with paneer and I just replaced it with chicken here. The Tikka has a meaning of marinating meat chunks in creamy masala and then dry cooked. Usually skewers are BBQed and as I prepared at home, I used the baking option. Grilling option can also work out.







Basic Information:
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Idle Time: 3 hours
Cooking Time: 30 - 40 minutes
Makes: 2 skewers


Ingredients:

For Tikka Skewers:

Chicken- 250 grams
Green Capsicum - 1 no
Cherry tomato - 5 no
Red onion - 1 small one
Bamboo Skewers - 2 - 4 nos according to the length, soaked in water overnight or minimum of 3 hours.(I used two 20CM bamboo skewers)

For Marinating:

Thick curd/ Yogurt - 2 tablespoons
Coriander leaves - 1/4 cup loosely packed
Mint leaves - 1/4 cup loosely packed
Ginger - 1 inch length
Garlic - 2 cloves

Cumin seeds - 1 teaspoon
Pepper corns - 3 no
Garam masala - a pinch
Salt - to taste
Red chilli powder - 1 teaspoon or to taste
Lemon - a small piece

For Serving:

Lemon - 1 slice
Coriander leaves - 3 string
Cabbage - 1/4 cup, finely sliced
Carrots - 1/4 cup, finely sliced
Mint chutney - to taste

Method:

1) Blend all the ingredients given for marinating and make smooth paste. No need to add water.
2) Transfer the paste to a bowl and put chicken pieces into them.
3) Mix well to coat the chicken with masala.
4) Cover and keep aside for minimum 3 hours. You can also keep in refrigerator overnight.
5) After 3 hours, align and insert the capsicum, cherry tomato, onions and chicken as shown in the picture.
6) Preheat the oven to 250C(480F).
7) Place the skewers inside the oven and cook for 30 minutes or till the chicken cooks.
8) Serve with mint chutney, coriander leaves, cabbage and carrot slices.







Note:



1) Serving ingredients mentioned here are absolutely optional and it is personal preference.

2) I closed packed the skewers to accommodate all the chicken pieces into 2 skewers. You can vary this as per your convenient.

3) You are welcome to use tikka masala for taste and colouring which I didn't add.