Friday, July 01, 2011

Mushroom Stuffed in Onion Boats


I know we never heard of onions being stuffed...hmm I thought why not!! Well if it is not new to you guys...that proves you know better...for me it's absolutely new.
I always heard of mushroom being stuffed with different stuffing. I came up with this recipe just for fun like an appetizer, to eat an hour before dinner, but this finally became out light friday night dinner, because it tasted so good that we kept on eating. I used mini bella mushroom, which has lot of earthy flavor and firm in texture which gives a nice body to the dish. I also used oats which is the my kind, addition of healthy ingredient in my recipe, which also helps to absorb extra moisture which comes from the mushrooms.

Ingredients:
-------------
2-3 tbsp Quaker Quick Cooking Oats
1 box Mushrooms (I used mini bella mushrooms)
3-4 Green Onions ( I used just the white part)
2 cloves of garlic
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 tsp Red Pepper flakes
1 tbsp Mayonnaise
1 large Red Onion halved and the layers removed, chop the inner bulb
1 tsp Butter
1/2 tsp Olive Oil
2 tbsp grated Parmesan Cheese


Method:
----------
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. In a baking sheet lined with parchment paper arrange the onion layers, I called them Onion boats and sprinkle some salt and pepper and little bit of cooking oil spray.


 3. In a pan  add olive oil, butter and when it's warm add the garlic so that it's infuses the oil in a medium flame for about 2-3 mins.
4. Then add the rest of the ingredients including mushrooms, onions, green onion, salt and pepper and red pepper flakes and saute it on medium high flame until the water from the mushrooms dry out.




5. Off the flame and allow it to cool a bit, add the oats and mayonnaise and mix well. The oats will help to absorb the extra moisture from the mushrooms and the onions, else while baking the onions rings might get soggy.
6. Now spoon the mushroom mixture into the onion boats and sprinkle the parmesan cheese over the top.
7. Bake the Onion mushroom boats for about 5 mins and then broil it for a min or two until the cheese is melted.




8. Enjoy this yummy simple and easy appetizer and can be like a light dinner too, if you wanna skip eating too much at night. I am sure it is quite filling.


Sending this recipe to the even hosted by Kalyani for the event "Dish it out with Mushrooms and onions"