Saturday, July 09, 2011

Homemade Apple Jam




Nowadays I buy a lot of fruits and vegetables as recently I have taken a liking towards pastry dishes. I will keep post on few recipes out there.Last weekend, I got a bunch of apples from market at a good price. I had various ideas in mind as what to make with the huge quantity of apples. I feel that too much of thinking yields nothing. I started searching the recipes from my Big cook book. Nothing worked out. Finally I got an idea to prepare jam out of the apples. Yes, a homemade Apple Marmalade. I referred this recipe from here. Hope you enjoy it!










Basic Information:
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: approx.40 minutes
Makes: 250 -300 Grams



Ingredients:



Apples - 5 no

Sugar - 1/2 cup

Water - 250 ml

Lemon Juice - 2 tablespoon




Method:










1) Scrub the skin of the apple and remove the seeds. Chop the apples into equal slices.

2) In a deep bottom pan, add water,apple slices and lemon juice. Allow the apple slices to boil.

3) Cook till the apple slices become soft. You would require approximately 20 minutes.

4) Allow it cool down a bit. Once it has cooled down, blend it with sugar to a fine paste using a food processor/mixer. You can directly mash the cooked apples using masher in the pan itself as an alternate way.

5) Transfer the blended paste to the pan and cook until the paste becomes thick. If you are using small pan, remember to cover it to avoid the bursting / spluttering.

6) Store the Apple Marmalade (Apple Jam) in airtight containers and refrigerate it.







7) Serve the Jam after a day of refrigeration.