Friday, July 01, 2011

Strawberry Apple Mocktail


Strawberries, strawberries and strawberries......we love strawberries. :-)

I am my Son are great strawberry eaters. Especially I love the color and taste of strawberries, raw or in any kind of dish I prepare. 
It's summer now, I decided to make something out of strawberry other than cake, or pie which my son does not eat. If it is a juice, I can somehow manage him to drink or taste it at least once. I made this drink and he liked it and we loved it too.
I have posted the nutrition value of strawberries in my previous post - "Strawberry Salsa" (click on the link to view the recipe or the nutrition value)

Ingredients:
------------
1 box fresh Strawberries de-stemmed, washed and quartered/halfed
2 Red Apples (sweet), chopped
Sugar/Honey as needed
1 pinch salt
2 tsp colored Sugar Crystals/Sprinkles
Water as needed

Method:
---------
1. In a heavy sauce pan add the strawberries, apples and water and bring it to a boil and simmer to medium to low flame and boil  the fruits until the apple is soft.
2. You can add either sugar or honey, if the fruits you are using or not sweet enough. I added about 2 tsp because I thought the apples and strawberries were not sweet enough.
3. Allow the juice to cool and strain it and pressing the fruits with a wooden spoon or hand to squeeze out the juice when in the strainer. Keep the juice cold in refrigerator until the time to serve.
4. Add the colored sugar crystals (I choose orange) in a plate.
5. Wet the rim of the glass with water and dip the glass upside down into the sugar crystals so that the rim is coated with sugar.
6. Keep it on a serving plate and pour the cold juice and enjoy your drink with adults and kids. I am sure kids will love it too.

Note: You can also make it as a adult party drink by adding strawberry wine or strawberry liquor.

Re-posting this recipe to send it to event
Ayeesha - Taste Of Pearl City - Event Name: Any one can cook