Friday, July 01, 2011

Cinnamon Sugar Hearts


These were awesomely delicious....I know I am praising my own recipe. I actually saw this on food network and did some modification. I reduced the amount of sugar the original recipe showed.
As soon as I saw this recipe, I remembered  the "Little Hearts" cookies I used to eat a lot when I was in India.


I know they don't look so perfect in shape, but they tasted better with cinnamon. Thanks much for food network to come up with this recipe. :-)

Ingredients:
---------------
1 pkg Puff Pastry Sheet
1/2 cup Sugar
2 tbsp Cinnamon powder
1 pinch Salt

Method:
-----------
1. Preheat oven oven to 450F. I used a toaster oven which does not need preheating.
2. To make these perfect hearts, the puff pastry should not be defrosted or thawed but just out from the  freezer.
3. In a bowl mix the sugar, salt and cinnamon powder.
4.3. Sprinkle half of the cinnamon sugar mixture on to a rolling surface and place the puff pastry sheet on top of the sugar, sprinkle the remaining half cinnamon sugar and roll it slightly until the fold marks have gone. (make sure you don't press it too hard).
5. Fold the sides of the square toward the center so they go halfway to the middle. Fold them again so the two folds meet exactly at the middle of the dough. 

6. Then fold one half over the other half as though closing a book. You will have 6 layers. 
7. Slice the dough 1inch per piece and place the slices, cut side up, on baking sheet lined with parchment paper.

 

8. Bake the cookies for 6 minutes, or until caramelized and brown on the bottom, then turn with a spatula and bake for another 3 to 5 minutes, until caramelized on the other side.
9. These can be served as cookies or arrange it over ice cream/whipped cream with fruits like raspberry/strawberries etc.,