I was thinking of making rava dosa for this weekend but didn't want to use the regular method using rava, but something healthy and coloful, and the other reason being that I didn't have any rava at home. :)
So just started with some main dosa ingredients and then each other item I started replacing to get the rava dosa consistancy. But for my surprise it came out so good and the same thing happened with the chutney also. I started to make onion tomato chutney but ended up adding coconut to it and made coconut onion tomato chutney....both believe me or not ....the combo was so good. So now lets go to the recipe!
1 cup Urad Dal
1 cup Idli Rava
2 cups Yellow/White Corn Meal (I used yellow)
1 tsp Eno
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
Salt as needed
Water as needed
Oil - very little for dosas
1. Wash and soak urad dal for about 2-3 hours, then grind it to a fine paste in the mixer and transfer it to a large bowl.
2. Add the idli rava and corn meal to the urad dal and add enough water to get to a dosa batter consistancy.
3. Keep this batter in a warm place for about 8 hours or overnight.
5. Meanwhile heat a dosa pan to medium heat. Take a big spoon full of batter and add it to the pan and make a dosa shape and cook it until the bottom get golden brown, now sprinkle some oil and flip it for cooking the other side. Usually the regular rava dosa, they don't cook the other side, but corn meal and idli rava takes bit longer time to cook....I thought it might be more crispy and well cooked if we flip and cook the other side too.
6. Cook the other side too for about 2-3 mins. Serve it with any chutney or smabar or pachadi. I served it with Coconut Onion Tomato Chutney. (Recipe follows....)
1/3 cup desiccated Coconut or fresh coconut
1 Onion chopped
1 Tomato chopped
3 Garlic cloves crushed
Salt to taste
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
1/2 tsp Oil
(Note: You can also season the chutney...but I didn't)
1. In a pan add oil, when it's hot enough add the garlic, onions and fry until translucent, then add tomato, turmeric powder and salt and cook until tomatoes cook and soft.
2. Now add the coconut and fry for more 3-4 mins. Off the flame and allow it to cool.
3. In a mixer add the sauteed ingredients and grind it to a paste. You can add little water if you need.
4. Serve this with the corn meal rava dosa.You Might Also Like:
|Brown Rice Dosa|