Thursday, November 10, 2011

Okra Fry with Sage


Anush loves to eat okra, so I wanted to make something simple which does not have much spice in it, as he is bit sick with Strep Throat. When I was browsing through some home remedies for strep throat....I found that sage is a good home remedy. Hmmm...I didn't have any fresh sage but did have dried sage powder. So decided to use that in the okra fry. Actually I was bit skeptical, as sage has strong flavor, he might not eat...but believe me or not I myself could not taste it much. But after all the hard work or scratching my head, he puked after he ate all the food. :( Nothing can help it...poor kid! It's really hard to see them get sick.


So taking an opportunity to share some useful information about sage....I hope it will helps others too!

Sage has one of the longest histories of use of any culinary or medicinal herb. Ancient Egyptians used it as a fertility drug.
1. Aqueous decoction of sage stopped bleeding of wounds and cleaned ulcers and sores.
2. Sage juice in warm water for hoarseness and cough.
3. Used by herbalists externally to treat sprains, swelling, ulcers, and bleeding, to treat rheumatism, excessive menstrual bleeding.

You can add up so many...here I have listed only few....

Ingredients:
-------------
1 pck Okra washed, patter dry and chopped
1 small Onion chopped
1 tsp Ground Sage
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
1/4 tsp Red Chili flakes
Salt as needed
1/4 tsp Olive Oil

Method:i
---------
1. In a pan oil, when it's hot enough add onions, saute it until translucent.
2. Add okra, turmeric powder, and red chili flakes, in medium flame cook it until 3/4th done.
3. Now add enough salt and ground sage, saute it for more 1-2 mins.


4. Serve with steamed rice or roti.

You Might Also Like:
Brussel Sprouts, Beans and Carrot Fry
Curried Fingerling Potato Fry
Grilled Tofu with Asparagus, Snap Peas and Edamame Stir Fry