Saturday, November 12, 2011

Sage Rasam/Soup with Freshly Ground Pepper and Cumin


Another recipe with Sage.....I think I will experiment with sage until the packet that I got will finish...I hope it not quite boring to the readers, because I am feeling that I am giving some nice usage of sage and also to help you keep healthy and happy. I came up with this recipe....as and when I get sick with cold or cough or any sickness...the first recipe that comes to my mind is a hot rasam recipe. Usually when you are sick you don't feel like eating anything, but very light food. This is the best recipe..that keep me active. Eat with steamed rice and you will feel lot better....as I am now! :)



Ingredients:
------------
2 sprigs of Sage leaves - chopped
1-2 Garlic cloves - chopped/crushed
1 Tomato chopped
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
1 tbsp Cumin seeds
1 tbsp Black Peppercorns
1/4 tsp Mustard seeds
1 pinch Asafoetida
1/2 Lime
Salt and water as needed
1/4 cup Cilantro chopped
1/2 tsp Oil

Method:
----------


1. In a kadai add oil, when it's hot add the mustard seeds, when it starts to sputter, add asafoetida, garlic and sage and saute it in low flame for about a min.


2. Meanwhile, in a spice mixer or regular mixer, add the cumin and black pepper, grind it to a coarse powder.


3. Add this coarse ground cumin and pepper to the kadai and saute for about 2-3 mins in medium flame.


4. Now add turmeric powder, salt and tomatoes and cook until tomatoes are cooked and soft for about 5 mins.
5. Now add enough water and bring it to a slow boil, off the flame and add lime juice and cilantro, mix well once, cover and let it rest for a min or 2.


6. Then serve it hot with steamed rice.




You Might Also Like:
Tomato Rasam
Beetroot Rasam