Sunday, September 12, 2010

Bitter Gourd/ Kakarkaya Vepudu/Fry



I never used to like this bitter bitter gourd/kakarkaya but I wanted to start eating because Shoj loves it, bet you guys…he eats is raw.
My mom used to tell me a lot about eating this, but I never listened. Now that I am getting bit health conscious I wanted to start eating this veggie.
I tried this recipe so that I can make this fast and easy. I really liked this recipe.

Some useful tips about Bitter Melon:
Bitter melon contains a bitter compound called momordicin that is said to have a stomachic effect.
Bitter melon has been used in various Asian traditional medicine systems for a long time. Like most bitter-tasting foods, bitter melon stimulates digestion. While this can be helpful in people with sluggish digestion, dyspepsia, and constipation, it can sometimes make heartburn and ulcers worse. The fact that bitter melon is also a demulcent and at least mild inflammation modulator, however, means that it rarely does have these negative effects, based on clinical experience and traditional reports.

Ingredients:
---------------
3 medium size Bitter Gourd / Kakarkaya (washed and cut into slices)
3 Green chilies
1 sprig curry leaves
1 tbsp oil (I used Olive oil)
salt
2 tbsp Jaggery
¼ tsp Garlic powder
¼ tsp Ginger powder

Method:
---------- 
  1. Place a Aluminium foil to a baking sheet, add all the ingredients except the jaggery and mix well and spread it for a thin layer and put it baking sheet under the broiler and cook for about 10 mins turning now and then or until the bitter gourd turns golden brown.
  2. Now sprinkle the jaggery on top and broil it again for a min.
  3. The bitter gourd fry/kakarkaya vepudu is ready in minutes.