Sunday, September 19, 2010

Eggplant Masala Curry




I got this big eggplant from a farm produce. I didn’t know that these eggplant stem would have thorn in it. Before Shoj could warn me about this, I did get a small poke. May be this eggplant was greeting me.
I wanted to try another recipe with this, but the end product turned out to be this curry. You know, this is how we learn from mistakes and experiments in our kitchen, until and unless we have good results. So I can take this experiment as a good result, as the curry turned out to be good.

Ingredients:
---------------
1 large Eggplant washed and cut into cubes and put it in a bowl of salted water.
1 medium Onion chopped
2 medium Tomatoes chopped
1 sprig Curry leaves
2 tsp Sambar powder (I use the sambar powder that my mom prepare on her own)
(Note: will update this blog with mom’s sambar powder recipe)
½ tsp Turmeric powder
1 tbsp Tamarind pulp
Salt to taste
1 cup water
½ tsp Mustard seeds
¼ tsp Fenugreek seeds
¼ tsp Asafoetida
¼ tsp Garlic powder/ 2 pods of fresh garlic chopped
1 tbsp Oil

Method:
----------
1. In a pan add oil, when the oil is hot add mustard seeds, when they start to sputter add fenugreek seeds, curry leaves and asafetida.
2. Add onions, fresh garlic/garlic powder, eggplant, salt, turmeric powder. 
3. Cover and cook until eggplant is ¾ cooked. Add the tomatoes and sambar powder stir well and cook for another 2 mins covered on medium flame.
4. Add the tamarind pulp and water and bring to boil without lid.
Make sure that all the ingredients are cooked well.
5. Serve hot with steamed rice or this recipe goes well with biriyani too.