Broccoli (from an Italian plural of broccoli, referring to “the flowering top of a cabbage”) is a plant of the mustard/cabbage family.
Broccoli is high in vitamins C, K, and A, as well as dietary fiber; it also contains multiple nutrients with potent anti-cancer properties.
A high intake of broccoli has been found to reduce the risk of aggressive prostate cancer. Broccoli consumption has also been shown to be beneficial in the prevention of heart disease.
I started eating this wonderful vegetable only after I became pregnant. I enjoy it eating as a stir-fry or this thoran recipe which I had at a friends place, because I always feel that u need to feel good when u eat anything otherwise it would not reach your body.
1 medium Broccoli shredded finely
1 medium Onion
4 Green chilies
1 spring Curry leaves
½ inch Ginger grated/chopped finely
Salt to taste
½ tsp Turmeric powder
½ cup dry shredded Coconut (you can use freshly grated)
1 tsp Oil
1 tsp Mustard seeds
1. Mix all the ingredients except oil and mustard seeds and keep it aside.
2. In a heavy bottomed pan add oil, once it is hot add mustard seeds, when they start to sputter add the mixed ingredients, mix well.
3. Cover and cook on medium low flame for about 5-6 mins/ until ¾th cooked.
4. Open the lid and stir well on medium flame so that the rest of the water is evaporated.
5. Serve hot with rice and curry as a side.