Saturday, September 11, 2010

Quinoa Idli

This is my third recipe I am trying with quinoa. I actually like the texture and taste of quinoa. 
As it is very easy to prepare, nutritious and can be substituted for rice, I started to experiment on this wonderful grain. I thought of making a healthy breakfast for the next day because this recipe needs a day before preparation. These Idlis came out so fluffy and soft and very delicious. So this is a green signal for me from my family to include in our kitchen menu.

Ingredients:
-----------
1 cup Quinoa
1 cup Rice (probably idli rice/brown rice) (Note: I used the normal cooking rice - long grain rice)
1 cup Whole urad dal
Handful of Cooked rice
Salt to taste
1/4 tsp oil

Method:
---------
1. Wash and soak Quinoa, rice and urad dal separately for about 3-4 hours.
Quinoa Idli Batter
2. Grind them in a mixer separately with cooked rice and mix all and let it ferment overnight.
3. The next day mix it up again with salt and keep it aside for a min and mix again.
4. Pour the batter into greased idli plates and steam the idlis for about 15 mins on medium high flame.
5. Serve these idlis with your choice of Peanut Chutney/idli powder.