Saturday, September 18, 2010

VENTHAYA MANGAI PICKLE

This is one of the most favourite pickles for me. The season for raw mango as well as Mangoes has gone. But still I can get some Kerala raw Mangoes here which is sweet and fleshy. When I have seen them last week in a famous Indian Super market, I immediately grabbed them and the next day, I have made this venthaya mangai pickle. I prepared with 4 mangoes but it didn’t even last for a week. My family members finished it within a few days!


வெந்தய மாங்காய் ஊறுகாய்

Ingredients:

Raw mango- 2
Fenugreek seeds- 1 tsp
Chilli powder- 2 tsp
Turmeric powder- half sp
Salt to taste
Gingelly oil- half cup
Asafetida- a small marble size
Mustard seeds-1 tsp

Procedure:

Cut the mangoes in to small cubes.
In a tsp of oil, fry the asafetida and fenugreek seeds separately to golden brown.
When cooled, grind them to a fine powder.
Heat a pan and pour the oil.
Add the mustard seeds and when they splutter add the magoes with the turmeric powder and salt and fry them on slow fire for 5 minutes.
Then add the chilli powder and cook for 5 minutes.
Then add the fried powder and cook again for a few seconds.
Now venthaya mangai pickle is ready.
This goes well with Thayir sadham and sambar sadham.