Thursday, September 02, 2010

Spicy Thai Shrimp Roll

 
The thought of making everyday dinner makes me feel so sad. I don't like to eat rice as dinner, so I try to make it simple, easy and yet filling and tasty dinners.
Today I also wanted to eat something fried so I thought of making these rolls using the spring roll wraps and eat them as my dinner. These served as dinner for me and Shoj (my husband) and a snack for Anush (my little boy). They are quite filling and satisfy my cravings too...  :-)

Ingredients:
--------------
1 lb Shrimp, cleaned and de-veined.
1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
1 egg white
salt to taste
1 1/2 tbsp Soy sauce
1 tsp Pepper powder
1 packet spring roll wrap (can find in any asian mart)
1tsp Oyster sauce (optional)
1 tsp Sweet red chili sauce (optional)
2 green chillies
1/2 inch ginger
1/4 cup oil for shallow frying
1/2 cup water

Method:
----------
1. Clean the shrimp and de-vein it and wash it in cold water. Drain all the water and add it to a chopper, along with green chillies, ginger, and cilantro.
2. blend it so that it is almond kind of thick paste but not to smooth paste like texture.
3. put this mixture to a bowl add egg white of one egg, soy sauce, oyster sauce, sweet red chili sauce, and salt if needed and pepper powder. mix well.
4. take one spring roll sheet and wet the border with water. keep one 1 tbsp of the shrimp mixture on one end of the sheet.
5. fold that corner over the filling and bring together the other two ends and again brush with water a bit and again fold it join the forth corner of the spring roll sheet. Thus forming a packet as shown.

6. This mixture makes about 12 spring rolls.
7. heat oil in pan, when the oil is medium hot, place 2 rolls at a time and cook for about 3 mins on each side and drain the excess oil by placing them on a kitchen/paper towel.
8. These can be served with your favorite sauce like ketchup, sweet chili sauce or sauce made from soy sauce, chili flakes and sugar.