A Quick n Easy Lunch box Recipe. A Crispy, Flavorful Rice with Partly Fried Okra/Vendaikaai.
2 cups of Cooked rice
200gms Ladies finger/Okra/Vendaikaai
1 Large Onion, chopped
1 Medium Tomato, Chopped
1 green chillie, slited lengthwise
1/2 tsp Red Chillie Powder
1/4 tsp Coriander powder
Oil for tempering and frying the ladies finger/okra, approx 3-4 tbsp
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
Curry leaves a few
hing a pinch
Salt to taste
- Wash the Ladies Finger/Okra. Pat them dry with a kitchen towel. Cut them into 1 inch piece.
- In a Non-Stick Deep pan, Heat 2 tbsp of oil. When the oil is hot, add the slited green chillie, when it is roasted, add the cut okra's and shallow fry them until well-cooked and partly crisp.
- While cooking the okra's/ladies finger, sprinkle little salt and saute. or else they might taste bland,when mixed with rice.
- In another Pan, heat a tsp of oil, Splutter mustard and cumin seeds. Add hing and curry leaves.
- When the curry leaves are fried, add onion and saute till translucent.
- Add tomatoes, chillie powder, coriander powder and salt. Sprinkle water to avoid burning of the masala's. Cook till oil separates.
- When the tomatoes are cooked, add the partly fried okra's and give it a good toss. Switch of the stove.
- Mix it well with rice. Stir a tsp of ghee and Serve Warm with Crisps.
Sending this to Flavors of South India Event, by Nayna of Simply food.
The Rice would be medium-spiced. If you want it spicy, increase the red chilli powder or add a Dash of pepper before serving!!!!