Monday, September 12, 2011

Onam Sadya - Quick/Instant/Easy Beetroot Pickle


when I was searching for the Onam Sadya recipes....in all the pics that I went through I saw pickle being served. I also usually like to eat pickle once in a while with sambar or any typical South Indian veg recipes. So I told Shoj to get raw mangoes. But when I opened up the fridge the next morning I didn't see any...I felt so sad first, then checked with Shoj and he said the store in which we usually get was closed by the time he went...but he did get some extra veggies...so I was running my eyes through all the veggies....then the idea just came thru my mind...why not make pickle with beets?....but how do I do it...thought just start then ideas will come by...so that's how I ended up with this awesome, yummy, spicy and very colorful easy and instant pickle. Yet another adventure on using healthy ingredient even in pickles. :) Feeling bit guilt free to eat it....after I tasted...it was awesome and could not wait to tell Shoj, that I did make pickle. He he....

Ingredients:
------------
1 medium sized Beetroot, peeled and cut into lengthy slices about 1/4 cm in thickness.
2-3 Green Chilies
3-4 Dry Red Chilies
1/2 inch Ginger grated
2 sprigs Curry Leaves
1 tsp Mustard Seeds
1/2 tsp Fenugreek seeds
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
2 tbsp Chili powder
1/3 tsp Fenugreek powder
1 big pinch Asafoetida
1 tsp grated Lemon/Lime zest
1 whole Lemon/Lime juice of a big Lemon/Lime
1 tbsp Oil ( I used Olive oil - yet another ingredient to eat this yummy pickle with a guilt free mind. :-) - but you can use any oil you like.
Salt to taste

Method:
---------
1. In a pressure cooker add the sliced beetroot, salt and little water and pressure cook for 1 whistle. Allow the pressure to release.
2. In a kadai or sauce pan add oil, when it's hot enough add the mustard seeds, when they start to sputter, add the fenugreek seeds, dry red chilies and asafoetida.
3. Now add the curry leaves and green chilies and saute it until the curry leaves turns crispy.
4. Simmer the flame to low, add turmeric powder, salt if needed, chili powder, fenugreek powder and saute it for about 3-4 mins.
5. Open the pressure cooker, if there is water from with the beets, on the stove again and in medium high flame cook it fast until the water is absorbed almost fully.
6. Immediately add these beets to the seasoning mixture in the kadai, saute it keeping the flame in low for about 3-4 mins more, so that all the spices is well coated on the beets.


7. Off the flame and add the lemon zest and lemon juice and mix it again, serve it along with other Onam Sadya recipes or it goes well with any south Indian dishes or any chapati, roti etc.,

Click on the link for rest of the Onam Sadya Recipes.....