Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Minty Lemony Aloo Poha


I came up this recipe just to use up the greens and vegetables. When I saw the mint in the fridge, I just bought them the day before yesterday and the leaves started to turn bit black, so I thought I need to use it as and when it's fresh (to tell the truth I actually forgot that I had it brought it! :)) and also wanted to use some potatoes, because I bought a big bag this time, didn't have any other option. :( After deciding upon the veggies, I didn't have any idea for a healthy lite dinner...hmm...so I thought why not make poha, as it is easy to make and yet can use these potatoes and mint. This is my first time trying out this combination...what to tell about the out come....awesome lemony and minty....loved the flavor!

Ingredients:
-----------------
1 1/2 cup Thick Poha
1 large Potato peeled and chopped
1 bunch fresh Mint leaves, washed and chopped
1/2 Lime (juice)
1 Onion chopped
2-3 green Chilies
5-6 Curry leaves
1/4 tsp Ginger grated
1/4 tsp Chili powder
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
1/4 tsp Garam Masala powder
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
1 tsp Cumin seeds
1 tsp Oil

Method:
------------

1. In a strainer wash the poha and leave it near the kitchen sink so that the excess water runs off and the poha will absorb as much as water and become soft a little bit.


2. In a sauce pan add oil, when it's hot add mustard seeds, when they start to sputter add cumin seeds.
3. Add curry leaves, green chilies and onions and saute it until the onions turn translucent.


4. Add the ginger and potatoes, salt and mix well, turmeric powder, red chili powder. Cover and cook until the potatoes are cooked over medium flame.



5. Now remove the lid, add mint, garam masala, stir it for few seconds, then off the flame and immediately add poha and stir carefully, not to break the poha and add lime juice and stir again and serve it when it's warm.


This can be served as breakfast or light dinner.


You Might Also Like: