Thursday, September 15, 2011

Tortilla Cups with Mexican Tomato Salsa


 




I am the one who love to taste all edible delicacies and enjoy its originality whereas my husband is very picky who tastes the food only if he likes. That sometimes makes me happy, because of which he shares his food with me and I enjoy more. sometimes I show off that I am perfect foodie like this... :-). Never mind.



This was the case when I first prepared the Mexican tomato salsa. He simply avoided it and I had to eat all with no choice. Next time, I prepared tortilla cups which were the leftover after making the wraps and served it with mild hot salsa. After having a single bite, he demanded more and finished everything including my share. Hmm... How a little thing changes a man to eat the dish!!!



Basic Information:
Preparation Time:15 minutes
Idle Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Makes: 12 cups



Ingredients:



For Tortilla Cups:



Plain Tortilla Breads - 3 nos

Oil - few drops (Optional)



For Tomato Salsa:



Salad Tomato - 3 nos, medium size

Onion - 1 no,small size

Lemon Juice - 1 tablespoon

Pepper powder - 1/2 teaspoon

Green chillies - 2 nos

Coriander leaves - 1 tablespoon, finely chopped

Salt - to taste







Method:



For Tortilla Cups:



1) Take a tortilla and cut them into square shapes.

2) Grease the muffin tray with oil and place the tortilla pieces inside the muffin cup and shape them to foam a cup like muffin.

3) Place inside the preheated oven for 10 minutes or until the tortilla cups get crisp with the temperature of 180C.

4) Once done, remove and transfer to a wire rack to cool. They will became more crisp when they cool.

5) Tortilla cups are ready to serve.



For Tomato Salsa:



1) De seed the tomatoes and chop them into fine pieces. Also chop onion and green chillies to fine pieces.

2) Mix all chopped pieces together with lemon juice, coriander leaves, pepper powder and salt.

3) Taste it and adjust the tanginess and salt according to your need.

4) Keep covered and refrigerated for minimum of 30 minutes before serving.



For Serving:



1) Place an approximate tablespoon of tomato salsa inside the tortilla cups and serve.

2) Enjoy it in a single bite.






Note:


1) You can also cut the tortilla into round shapes using a cookie cutter to make cups.  Personally, I feel making a square shape is easy and so tried it. Using one tortilla, I made 4 square shapes.

2) I added only 2 green chillies to get very mild spicy. You feel free to add more to get the authentic Mexican taste.

3) This tomato salsa can also be served with corn tortilla chips.



Sending this recipe to Akheela's food palette series finale rainbo colours.