My mom used to prepare this soup and drinks first thing in the morning some times starting from my childhood days to now. As it involves only cabbage and no oil and other masala(s), it holds the health benefits of cabbage.
Few known facts are,
Protect against cancer
Lower risk of heart attacks
Good nature healing for ulcers
Used in treatments of Asthma and Stomach pain.
When I came to know that cabbage is used in many low calorie diet plans,(There are numerous cabbage soup diet recipes floating around Internet which focus on diet, diet and only diet) I started to follow my mom's way. A simple, yet healthy soup recipe is blogged here.
Preparation Time: <10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30minutes
Cabbage - 2 cups
Cumin seeds / Cumin Powder - 1 teaspoon
Crushed Pepper Corns / Pepper powder - 1 teaspoon / to taste
Salt - to taste
1) Roughly Chop and wash cabbage.
2) Boil it by adding 3 cups of water.
3) When it starts to boil, add cumin, pepper and salt powders. Reduce the flame to low.
4) Cover and cook for 15-30 minutes.
5) Serve hot with salt and pepper.
1) You can filter the cabbage slices if you don't want them with soup.
2) It is better to use roasted cumin and pepper powder.