This time I am back with a rice recipe. This is one of my favorite rice dishes and I dedicate this dish to my Late friend. Latha Akka. Whenever I prepare this dish, her memories just flash back. We miss you Latha Akka! Latha Akka would have been one of the finest bloggers in the food/ cooking category, if she would have been with us by now. She was such an amazing person by heart and art. This recipe was passed on from her to my Mom and from my Mom to me. And here are all what you need to prepare this yummy rice dish!!
1 cup of Mint leaves /Pudina
1" stick of cinnamon
2-3 Bay leaves
4 Whole Green Cardamom
1-2 Star Anise
1 floret Mace/ Jawetri
3-4 Green Chillies
1/2 cup of Grated/ Shredded coconut
2 tbsp of butter
Salt to taste
For the Mint Chutney:
- In a shallow frying pan, melt about 1/4 tbsp of butter. To this add the green chillies and mint leaves.Roast the ingredients well on low flame until the mint leaves wilt well.
- In another pan roast the shredded/ grated coconut until it turns into a light brown color.
- Once done, remove from the pan and after the mixture has cooled, blend it will in a blender and grind it to a coarse paste.
For the Rice:
- Soak 2 cups of rice for about 30 minutes.
- Melt the remaining butter in the pan. To this, add all the dry spices: cinnamon, bay leaves, cloves, cardamom (seeds with the skin slit), star anise, mace, pistachios and the cashews.
- Roast for about a minute or two on medium heat.
- Then add the ground paste and salt and cook for a few minutes.
- To this mixture, add the soaked rice and cook until done. (For pressure cooker let 2 whistles. Rice will be done quickly as it was soaked for 30 minutes).
- Serve hot with Raita.